Tuesday 29 April 2014

House of Hospitality

I know, the title of this post is not the most creative but it's the best I can come up with for this house project that I did  :)


 It all started when I bought this "On the Fence" die from Tim Holtz and there was this box that I wanted to throw away from one of my son's toys. An idea formed to lay the fence around the box which I would then need to "build" a house for the fence to surround itself in and one thought led to another and the idea of a house was conceived  :)



But I didn't like the idea of a house in an ornamental sense, that is, its only purpose was to stand there and look like a house. That, to me, was a waste of space so I decided to make it a working house and created a "House of Hospitality". Simply put, it was a receptacle, if you will, where I could store my disposable plates, cups, serviettes, cutlery and even stirrers! Cool idea??

There is the front of the house with a um.. patio and a backyard. The orange roof can be opened to reveal disposable dinner and dessert plates. The red patio with the blue door is used to store forks and spoons. Beside the patio is a small rectangular blue box for stirrers. 


The tree is used to store cups and behind the red beaded square is where I keep the napkins.



It took me some time since it was built from just an empty box and lots of cardboards and it was my first time constructing a house but it was a lot of fun and I love the end result!

I wish I can find a lazy Suzie to attach it on so that I spin it around to retrieve things but it has been most convenient to have this around whenever I have guests in the house.

Some of you may want to know how I constructed this house, so I will be writing another blog for the details...stay tuned! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment